Thursday, October 26, 2006

Tabernacle Pews Are Casualty of Facelift

I'm a history buff; and this quote about recent rennovations of the Tabernacle just caught my attention.

For Robert Charles Mitchell, a retired newspaper editor from Salt Lake
City who lives in Logan, the fate of the pews and the bank tower hit the “same
vein.” "It’s an issue of values,” he said. “We glorify our pioneers. We talk about their travails and bless their devilishly hard work. We laud them on the one hand and run roughshod over them on the other. We’re dishing up ersatz history and throwing away the real thing.”

2 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

That is my dad. Could you tell me where you found the quote? I know that the NYT interviewed him but I am having trouble tracking it down.

Cliff said...

Sorry to take so long in getting back to you. I somehow missed your comment.

The article on "Tabernacle Pews" was HERE in the NYT. You must register (free) to access the story though.