Thursday, October 20, 2005

Legislators full of gas

There are some things that never change. Legislative lawmakers seem set up to favor business. It's a certainty like the sun will come up tomorrow. When fuel prices have been straining family budgets, some Utah legislators want to extend the Utah Motor Fuels Marketing Act, a law that they have already enacted to prohibit anyone from selling gasoline below cost.

The problem with such a bill is the ease of abuse. The Assistant Attorney General Tony Patterson mentioned that over the years all investigations into "dumping" proved fruitless, while accused gas retailers spent considerable time and money accomodating the AG office to investigate that the station was selling below cost. If a gas retailer was upset at a big chain station undercutting their high prices, all they would have to do is call the AG office and shout, "He's a dumper, nanananananah." Er, better not say the last part but I bet they think it.

"This law wasn't designed to protect consumers, it was written to protect retailers," Patterson said. The Ass't AG got that right. I'm glad he's looking out for me, the consumer, especially when it comes to today's gas prices because my legislators are not. They prefer to be full of gas at high prices.
Photo by John Schwartz via stock.xchng

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you just say that the free market, not the politicians, is looking out for you?

Cliff said...

Yep. That is exactly what I said. At this point, I trust in Adam Smith's invisible hand way more than I trust the I trust any legislator, no matter what party.

Anonymous said...

I agree whole heartily. That makes at least two (Utah) LDS who think this way. What do you think the percentage of (let's keep it to Utah) active LDS who have these thoughts? 5%?

Cliff said...

There are very few of us, very few. It is a healthy thing to recognize that good people and institutes work for their own self interest. As a voter, I support them when they act in MY interest.

This flat tax situation reminds me of this. I would have thought our state legislators would champion Governor Huntsman's flatter tax. It was a bold proposal for many reasons. Unfortunately, our legislators are kowtowing to the pressures of large institutions who fear there will be less in charitable revenue because of less charitable deductions that can be written off. I expect institutes to act in their own self-interests, even the most celestial. (Uh oh. I think I just lost a lot of people.) We need to be mature enough to recognize that.

Whether I give to charity the same amount or give MORE because I have now more disposable income to give is my business. I also don't care what color the cat is as long as it catches the mouse. Oh, and while I'm on a roll, forget the chicken in every pot these guys promise. I don't even like chicken. I'm more of a steak man myself.